When a new Gothic church was erected in the middle of the Sedlec Monastery Cemetery in Czech Republic, thousands of previous burials were disrupted.  In 1511 A.D., a half-blind monk was charged with sorting bones from the abolished graves in a small underground chapel designated as an ossuary.

After a renovation of the chapel, a reorganization of the bones of 40,000+ bodies was undertaken by a Czech wood-carver named František RINT in 1870.

Among the most interesting arrangements is a large chandelier which contains at least one of every bone in the human body.

Kutna Hora, Sedlec 2.JPG

Visit the official webpage of the Sedlec Ossuary by clicking here.

Advertisements