After a fitful night’s sleep, I grabbed a bowl of cereal and considered our day 1 experience.  On the face of it, selling 8 covers was a good start, but I also knew that we’d have to generate a larger single-day average if we expected to get anywhere close to our 100-sales goal.

Sunday’s session was a sneak-peek from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm.  The remaining sessions would be 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.  Arriving on the expo floor at 8:54 am (we like to cut it close!) I was impressed by the lack of activity.

Turns out, 9:00 am is a bit early for people to hear about products.  Luckily, things started to pick up after 10:00 am, with heavy, heavy traffic filling our booth.  Many of the people who had, just the night before, promised to return to our booth to make a decision, actually did!

Only two things slowed the day’s orders:  Not enough workers in the booth (even though Robin Richter, one of our Final Embrace contributors, joined us at the start of the day to give us 5 booth workers) and not enough order books.

I had bought three books, figuring that we’d never be writing more than three orders at a time.  WRONG!  Next time, we’ll bring individual order sheets, with boxes to check off, rather than blank forms, to make the process easier and faster.

At 12:30, I excused myself and grabbed a quick bite to eat with Robin.  We split a $10 burrito.  Note to self:  next time, make sandwiches or stop at Subway for a cold sub to bring with us.  It’s tastier (I’ve had better $2 burritos at a fast food restaurant) and cheaper.  Plus, you don’t have to wait in long, slow lines with everyone else who forgot to pack a lunch.

When 3:00 pm rolled around and convention security was shoo-ing attendees from the floor (look for more about this in my “What NFDA Should Fix” post) we had sold an additional 42 covers, bringing our running total to 50 covers sold.

Halfway to our goal.  I would sleep much better, I hoped, for the remainder of the convention.

That night I attended the Final Embrace dinner with 11 other vendors and funeral directors (more about this in a future post) and turned in around 11:00 pm with aching feet and dreams of better sales figures for the last two days of the show, but even I didn’t expect that Day 3 would be even bigger than the first two days combined!