Day 2 ended with a flurry of sales and we were already halfway to our goal of 100 covers sold at the event.

Day 3 started innocently enough at 9:00 am, with most attendees streaming in about an hour later.  NFDA chose to hold sessions in the expo hall this year, an improvement and an incentive to get funeral directors onto the expo floor more than once during the 4-day event.

Even with four people in the booth and two previous days of sales, we were still hopping most of the day.  Here’s a picture (with descriptions) to show you how busy we were most of the day:

nfda convention tagged by you.

This wasn’t a staged shot.  This was typical of our days at the convention.

Robin Richter joined us again for the day, but this time she spent a few hours with Deidre Blair in her Final Reflection booth in the new exhibitor section.  We’ll feature Deidre’s products in a future post.

With so many booth workers, I was able to steal away for a few minutes and visit some of the other vendors.  I did an interview with the folks at Sportsman Urns and checked out my competition at The Last Quilt Company (etiquette prevented me from snapping pictures of her booth or filming her product).

When I returned, Linda asked me what our goal was for the show.  Here’s what I said:

“I set a lofty goal of 100, which I didn’t think we’d hit after Sunday night, when we sold just 8.  But after yesterday, I think we can get there by tomorrow afternoon.”

Offhandedly, she said, “Well, I just sold number 99, so you might just make it today.”

I was floored!

We did end up meeting our goal a day early, as we closed out Day 3 with 53 covers sold, to bring our 3-day haul to 103 cot covers sold.

As I’m fond of telling our potential customers, we make all of our covers in Florida in our own workshops.  We don’t have to worry about quality issues, because we control every aspect of their production.

Of course, that also means we have to make every single one of these things.  And while there were a few on the shelf back in the workshop, our on hand inventory is seldom more than 50, meaning we’d have at least another 50 to make when we got back to our facility.

But wait!  We still had one day left.  Would Day 4 be as shocking as the last two, or had we sold a cover to everyone who wanted one already?

We left the expo hall shortly after 3 pm and went our separate ways.  Lynn and Linda headed home to check on their dog.  After a big hug and some congratulations, Robin Richter hightailed it for her house in Dover (near Tampa), while I drove back to my hometown (just 40 miles from the convention center).

As I settled back into my own bed, I decided that Day 4 could bring us at least 30 more sales, even if I had no idea how we’d make them and ship them out in a reasonable time.  I knew we’d figure out how to do it, if we just tried.

I wonder how well I would have slept if I’d known that Day 4 would be the second biggest sales day in the history of our company?